School of International Studies, Peking University Master’s Degree Program in International Relations (MIR) Prospectus for 2022 Entry
About the Program
The School of International Studies at Peking University (hereinafter referred to as SIS) is inviting applications for a two-year Master Program in International Relations (MIR). Students will receive intensive and rigorous trainings in various fields ranging from general politics, foreign affairs, to social development of contemporary China. Students are encouraged to study Mandarin in this program, but all MIR courses and theses are conducted in English. Students will be granted a master’s degree in International Relations by Peking University once all requirements are fulfilled.
Further information about the School, curricula, degree and application procedures are accessible to our website www.sis.pku.edu.cn.
1. Eligibility. This program is designed only for international applicants who should hold valid passports issued by their countries. Residents of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan who have emigrated to other countries and are applying to Peking University as international students must present valid passport or citizenship documents dating from before April 30, 2016, along with proof of cancellation of Chinese nationality.
2. Prior Degree. Applicants should hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from an institution of recognized standing. Applicants who have not yet graduated upon application, must get the degree before September 2022. (Applicants who graduated from non-Chinese universities must hold a bachelor’s degree from a university accredited by the Ministry of Education of China. Grade skipping or joining in the middle of the course is not permitted.)
3. Language Proficiency. Applicants from non-English speaking background or who did not receive their bachelor’s degree from an English speaking institution after September 1, 2017 are required to provide valid English test certificates.
1. Peking University application form with a photograph and signature attached. Please visit http://www.studyatpku.com to complete the application form.
2. Graduation diploma and degree certificate, must be original documents or certified copies either in Chinese or English. Note: Students expecting to graduate should provide an official letter stating their expected graduation date.
3. Official transcripts, original or certified copies either in Chinese or English.
4. A personal statement of no more than 1500 words either in Chinese or English.
5. Two reference letters from a professor(s) or associate professor(s) related to your major (or equivalent professionals with relevant academic title. The format of the reference letters is attached below. Reference letters must be original documents or be sent directly from referees to firstname.lastname@example.org either in Chinese or English.
6. One photocopy of your valid passport (passport type must be ordinary).
7. English language proficiency certificate and it should be taken after September 1, 2020. IELTS 7.0, or TOEFL IBT / TOEFL Home Edition 107, or Linguaskill 180.
8. Abstracts of publications and/or any original work in other forms in relevant fields.( If relevant).
9. One passport size photo with white background.
*The application materials above will not be returned.
The soft copies of the required documents shall be organized in nice order and be DELIVERED to the email: email@example.com in the meantime.
The hard copies of the required documents must be DELIVERED to WANG Juan(Ms.), B101, School of International Studies, Peking University, Beijing China 100871, accordingly. Tel: +86(10)62759615
Nonrefundable, shall be paid through online payment or in cash or by bank card with China UnionPay utility.
*Please note that incomplete application materials and the application without successful payment will not be processed.
Timeline (Beijing Time)
Application period: November 1, 2021- March 31, 2022
Pre-admission decision: around early or mid-April, 2022
Interviews (When necessary): mid-April, 2022 (Finalists will be interviewed via zoom, skype, telephone or, in rare cases, in person)
Final admission results: late June, 2022(via email)
Official admission letter and visa application form shall be sent out: early July, 2022
Enrollment: early September 2022, the exact date is subject to PKU official admission letter. Admitted students must complete the registration procedures at Peking University in accordance with the time specified in the admission notice.
CNY75,000 (per year per person)
Chinese Government Scholarship
1. MIR program will nominate two or three candidates for the merit-based China’s Government Scholarship (CGS), which will provide the awardees with a monthly living stipend and assistance with accommodation arrangement. MIR tuition fee will also be partly covered by the CGS (students are expected to make up for the difference by other means). Applicants who intend to apply CGS through this way must submit CGS-MIR Program application form below together with other application materials at the timing of application.
2. Applicants can also apply for Chinese Government Scholarship through the Chinese Embassy at the applicant’s country of origin. For more information, please visit http://www.csc.edu.cn.
Beijing Government Scholarship
MIR Program will nominate no more than 5 students at the second year. Awardees shall be granted up to CNY10,000-20,000.
Certified by the Degree Committee of Peking University, a two-year full time Master’s Degree in law, majored in International Relations will be granted upon completion of required credits and successful defense of a Master’s thesis.