School of International Studies, Peking University Master’s Degree Program in International Relations (MIR) MIR Program Prospectus for 2021 Entry
About the Program
The School of International Studies at Peking University (hereinafter referred to as SIS) is inviting applications for a two-year Master Program in International Relations (MIR). Students will receive intensive and rigorous trainings in various fields ranging from general politics, foreign affairs, to social development of contemporary China. Students are encouraged to study Mandarin in this program, but all MIR courses and theses are conducted in English. Students will be granted a master’s degree in International Relations by Peking University once all requirements are fulfilled.
Further information about the School, curricula, degree and application procedures are accessible to our website www.sis.pku.edu.cn.
1. Eligibility. This program is designed only for international applicants who should hold valid passports issued by their countries. Residents of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan who have emigrated to other countries and are applying to Peking University as international students must present valid passport or citizenship documents dating from before April 30, 2015, along with proof of cancellation of Chinese nationality.
2. Prior Degree. Applicants should hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from an institution of recognized standing. Applicants who have not yet graduated upon application, must get the degree before September 2021.
3. Language Proficiency. Applicants from non-English speaking background or who did not receive their bachelor’s degree from an English speaking institution are required to provide valid English test certificates.
1. Peking University application form with a photograph and signature attached. Please visit http://www.studyatpku.com to complete the application form.
2. Graduation certificate and degree diploma, must be original documents or certified copies either in Chinese or English. Note: Students expecting to graduate should provide an official letter stating their expected graduation date.
3. Official transcripts, original or certified copies either in Chinese or English.
4. A personal statement of no more than 1500 words either in English or Chinese.
5. Two reference letters from a professor(s) or associate professor(s) related to your major (or equivalent professionals with relevant academic title. The format of the reference letters is attached below. Reference letters must be original documents or be sent directly from referees to email@example.com either in Chinese or English.
6. One photocopy of your valid passport (passport type must be ordinary).
7. English language proficiency certificate and it should be taken after Sep. 1, 2019. IELTS 7.0, or TOEFL IBT / TOEFL Home Edition 107, or Linguaskills 180, or Duolingo English Test 120.
8. Abstracts of publications and/or any original work in other forms in relevant fields.( If relevant).
9. One passport size photo in white background.
*The application materials above will not be returned.
Soft copy of the required documents above should be organized in order and need to be RECEIVED at HU Jinzi (Ms.)’s email address: firstname.lastname@example.org at meanwhile.
Hard copy of the required documents above need to be RECEIVED at HU Jinzi (Ms.), B101, School of International Studies, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China accordingly. Tel: +86(010)-62759615
400RMB, nonrefundable, paid through online payment or in cash or by bank card with unionpay function.
*Please note that incomplete application materials and application without successfully payment will not be processed.
Application period: from November 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021
Pre-admission decision: mid- April, 2021
Interviews (When necessary): mid- April, 2021 (Finalists will be interviewed via zoom, skype, telephone or, in rare cases, in person)
Final admission results: late April, 2021(via email)
Official admission letter and visa application form will be sent out: early July, 2021Enrollment date: early September 2021, the exact date shall be subject to PKU official admission letter
Chinese Government Scholarship
1. MIR program will nominate two or three candidates for the merit-based China’s Government Scholarship (CGS), which will provide the awardees with a monthly living stipend and assistance with accommodation arrangement. MIR tuition fee will also be partly covered by the CGS (students are expected to make up for the difference by other means). Applicants who intend to apply CGS through this way must submit CGS-MIR Program application form below together with other application materials at the timing of application.
2. Applicants can also apply for Chinese Government Scholarship through the Chinese Embassy of the applicant’s country of origin. Get more information by visiting http://www.csc.edu.cn.
Beijing Government Scholarship
MIR Program will nominate no more than 5 students at the second year. Awardees will be granted 10,000-20,000RMB.
Certified by the Degree Committee of Peking University, a Master’s Degree in law, majored in International Relations will be granted upon completion of required credits and successful defense of a Master’s thesis.